ZGE IDE on Linux natively (No Wine) - What are the problems?

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

sixman9

ZGE IDE on Linux natively (No Wine) - What are the problems?

Post by sixman9 »

Hi,
[This may have been asked before but] what would be necessary to compile ZGE's editor/IDE on Linux? Are there Windows-specific aspects to the ZGE code that might need re-writing/replacing etc.?

I'm a newbie here but really like the look of ZGE. I'm really a big Linux fan (and occasional Mac OSX user, these days), so it would be great for me, and hopefully other, if ZGE ran on Linux, natively (i.e. without Wine).

Thanks

Rich
Kjell

Re: ZGE IDE on Linux natively (No Wine) - What are the probl

Post by Kjell »

Hi sixman9,
sixman9 wrote:[This may have been asked before but] what would be necessary to compile ZGE's editor/IDE on Linux? Are there Windows-specific aspects to the ZGE code that might need re-writing/replacing etc.?
The IDE is written using CodeGear Delphi's VCL, which doesn't support Linux. A logical solution would be a re-write in Lazarus.
sixman9 wrote:I'm really a big Linux fan (and occasional Mac OSX user, these days), so it would be great for me, and hopefully other, if ZGE ran on Linux, natively (i.e. without Wine).
Agreed.

K
sixman9

Post by sixman9 »

OK Kjell, I guess that answers that one then ;-)

Although I'd love to do the following work myself, my current life won't allow me to. Maybe a more dedicated ZGE follower could find the time and interest in making ZGE editor cross-platform, I'd like to chip in my 2 cents by offering the following links:

Automatic Delphi Converter in Lazarus, supports VCL-LCL UI conversion
Code Conversion Guide
A comparison of Delphi's VCL and Lazarus LCL components

From my limited investigation, ZGE looks like an awesome development framework, the only other thing missing, other than the editor on Linux, for me is IOS runtime support, but maybe you've got something to say about that, hey Kjell :-D ?

Cheers
sixman9

Post by sixman9 »

indiablo3 wrote:The IDE is written using CodeGear Delphi's VCL
indiablo3, Kjell made me aware of this, previously, the point of my subsequent post/links is that Lazurus appears, to some extent, able to convert many VCL constructs to a Lazarus equivalent, suggesting that a Linux compatible version of ZGE might be possible.

Owing to my general lack of experience with Pascal, I don't feel up to the conversion task myself, but, by posting that conversion information, I was and am hoping that some friendly Google surfer will one day swoop in and write a *nix-compatible version on ZGE.

Someone has already done something similar by emulating ZGE for .Net-based development:

https://github.com/petya2164/ZsharpGameEditor

It wouldn't hurt ZGE take up if it were Linux and Mac compatible, would it ;-)

Thanks
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

indiablo3 was just a spambot cleverly trying to look authentic by copying a random sentence from previous posts in thread (in this case copying text from Kjell). I've removed his posts and deleted his account.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

VilleK wrote:indiablo3 was just a spambot cleverly trying to look authentic by copying a random sentence from previous posts in thread (in this case copying text from Kjell). I've removed his posts and deleted his account.
Incredible how spambots now work :O