Quick Add panel improvements

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

rrTea

Quick Add panel improvements

Post by rrTea »

I often (almost exclusively) use Quick Add panel to add new components to the Project Tree (can't remember when was the last time I used the "regular" Add Component panel, the one that opens with Ctrl+A).

But, while working, I often resize other panels, so every time the Quick Add panel opens the positions of the components is different. Meaning the whole list has to be visually scanned in search of a component every time a new component has to be added. And neither the icons nor the text of the "you probably don't want to add these here" components are faded (in the normal Add Component panel at least the text is faded) so this also slows things down.

Which made me think:
Would it be practical to have an option of maybe locking the list in place when the icons of components are in a position that is easy to remember? The lock icon can be in the corner, maybe something like this:
see upper right corner
see upper right corner
剪贴板图片 (5).png (44.59 KiB) Viewed 10788 times
Actually I'd be happy if I could summon the (Quick) Add Component panel by middle clicking on any node that can hold components in the Project Tree so it opens where the mouse is, and not on the other side of the screen, to minimize mouse pushing :), any thoughts? Edit: (Closes on Esc or next Middle button click/moving cursor out of the window or click outside of the Quick Add panel; LMB adds a component; RMB opens the Help / Cancel menu.)
Last edited by rrTea on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Quick Add panel improvements

Post by VilleK »

I agree that this is a good idea. And I never use the older add component dialog either. I'll see what I can do.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I started with graying out components that are not supposed to be added here.

List of fixes:

- Quick component add window now shows grayed out Items
- Possible fix for the "cannot focus disabled window" message that sometimes happen when selecting component in project tree
- Fix for not being able to open editor when ZLibrary is very large (like in Jasper project)
- Latest updates to SynEdit text editor

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
Attachments
Skärmklipp.PNG
Skärmklipp.PNG (124.27 KiB) Viewed 10767 times
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Works here!
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

First impressions:
I noticed that now it's not possible to add the greyed out components from Quick Add panel. So I felt relieved that now I don't have to worry about adding ImplicitCombine instead of a Group (my most used component) anymore! But this can also prevent certain simple workflows, for example when attempting to add all the components in one go and then drag and drop them within the Project Tree.

Concrete example: Let's say I am trying to add some graphics. I would probably first go to Content in Project Tree, move to Quick Add panel, add components like Bitmap, BitmapFromFile, Material, MaterialTexture, RenderMesh, UseMaterial and whatever else is needed (let's say a Group etc) in one go, move back to Project Tree and rearrange it there (in this example move UseMaterial and RenderMesh to OnRender, move MaterialTexture to Material, move BitmapFromFile to Bitmap etc). This is faster / more efficient than going to an individual node in Project Tree and adding a component there.

So in this sense, ghosting could be closer to a guideline / visual aid than an actual rule… (Although I always get confused by the combination of ghosted text and regular icon :oops: .)

As for updating "SynEdit text editor", on my end the sliders are still rendered wrongly, maybe it's just my computer.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Right, I could make it possible to still choose the grayed out components, is that what you are saying? I prevented that because I was not sure what would be best.

About the SynEdit problem: can you reproduce this with any ZExpression? I don't get the same problem here.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Right, I could make it possible to still choose the grayed out components, is that what you are saying? I prevented that because I was not sure what would be best.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say :)
About the SynEdit problem: can you reproduce this with any ZExpression? I don't get the same problem here.
Yes, the sliders are drawn incorrectly. After I position the mouse cursor within any "long" ZExpression and start pushing the mouse wheel, the vertical slider appears (or if I simply click within that ZExpression). The horizontal slider always indicates as if there is more text than there really is (confusing but not especially bothersome).
Last edited by rrTea on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Please try this: http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip

- Components that are grayed out can still be selected
- Editor scrollbars should behave better
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

The horizontal scrollbar is now showing the real amount of scrolling, excellent! The scrollbars stay hidden until the editor window is interacted with in some way, but maybe this is happening only on my computer.

With the newest update, the cursor behaves somewhat unusual, for example if there are three lines of code, like this:

Code: Select all

//1234567890

//1234567890
and the cursor is, say, positioned in the first line at number 4 – pressing the cursor twice I'd expect the cursor will end up on the third line at number 4, at least that's how it used to work (that's how text editing works on this forum too). But instead, it ends up at the beginning (before "//"). This is really impractical when there is a bit of indented code.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

rrTea wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:52 am With the newest update, the cursor behaves somewhat unusual, for example if there are three lines of code, like this:
Unfortunately that seems to be the consequence of disabling the automatic horizontal scrollbar (the synedit eoScrollPastEol option). I can revert that change if this is a worse problem than the horizontal scrollbar.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Personally I'd rather have the old cursor :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

rrTea wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:18 pm Personally I'd rather have the old cursor :)
Ok please download the beta again, it should be fixed now back like it was :)