ZGE Chat! (IRC Channel)

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

ZGE Chat! (IRC Channel)

Post by Kjell »

Hi everybody,

ZGameEditor now has it's own IRC channel!

Point your favorite IRC Client to irc.esper.net and join #ZGameEditor to chat, discuss and share anything ZGE related.

See you there!
K

--

For visiting the chat using your web browser use the link named "Chat" under "Community" section in the sidebar of the wiki. This opens the mibbit-client attached to the ZGE irc-chat.
Last edited by Kjell on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Thanks Kjell. Made it a sticky.
myraneal

Post by myraneal »

Hey Kjell,
This is great news. I tried to connect to this irc network today using ChatZilla (an irc extension to Firefox) but here is the message I got:
"Banned You are banned from this network: Turkish IP space To contact EsperNet visit http://www.esper.net/contact.php (2008/5/1 10.14)"

I don't know why Turkish IPs are banned from esper.net. Do you know why?

Thanks,
Yılmaz
slobu

Try a different server maybe?

Post by slobu »

You might try connecting to these servers instead:

# These two servers are in Europe

* damocles.esper.net
* excalibur.esper.net

# These servers are in North America

* chocobo.esper.net
* cosmos.esper.net
* dream.esper.net
* phoenix.esper.net

It could be your particular Internet Service Providers IP range is being blocked. Unfortunately, Esper.net intentionally blocks Tor so that route is out :(
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/category/38/
what about some stuff like this??? Shoutbox and/or chats added to the forums...
What do you guys think about this?
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

A phpBB hack to access the IRC channel from the forum easily is certainly welcome .. as long as it doesn't launches automatically .. and it isn't java based ( javascript is fine though ).

And while we're at it .. one of the things that I've seen on other phpBB boards which is quite convenient is a "View Active Topics" link. Any chance this could be enabled on this forum as well?

Thanks ~
K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The problem with phpbb2 mods is that they really are "mods" and not plugins that are easy to install. You have to manually merge changed php-files with the code for the mod. And this is difficult when you already have several other mods installed, like file-attachments and some custom anti-spam code that the ZGE forum has.

I guess the proper way forward is to upgrade to phpbb3 which has a whole new plugin-architecture but I'm personally not very fond of that software. I think phpbb2 is nicer to use. It is also very stable. Except from a brief period of spamming in the beginning of ZGE-forum, there have been no problems needed for me to administer which is great.

I don't find a setting for "view active topics". Perhaps it is a mod too? We can install phpbb2 mods if we are sure that they are stable and are worth the effort of installing.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Well, I suspected you had to modify some stuff... However, this: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3985 seems to be rather easy to get working... the install file clearly states:

Code: Select all

## Installation Level: easy
## Installation Time: 2 Minutes
Well, dunno =)
I'm really fine with this phpbb2.0 forum, moving to 3.0 might be a PITA and we have really NO time to waste on forum problems ^^

So Ville, you have to choose what to do... I must say that a Javascript IRC chat is somewhat inviting... Let's say that I might finally park myself (and others might, too!) on the IRC chat... :)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

The "View Active Topics" feature is just a search query ( search.php?search_id=active_topics ) .. but perhaps it's not available in phpBB2.

However, I did come across another query which is quite similar ( user specific so you need to be logged in ) and does work.

search.php?search_id=newposts

K
Last edited by Kjell on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes that is the "View posts since last visit" on the forum index page. I use that a lot myself. If you have automatic login to the ZGE-forum you can bookmark that link directly to see any new posts with a single click.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

d'oh,

Hadn't noticed that link :P

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

kattle87 wrote:Well, I suspected you had to modify some stuff... However, this: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3985 seems to be rather easy to get working... the install file clearly states:
It says "javascript" but when I downloaded it the actual irc-stuff is actually an Java-applet. And I'm not a fan of Java in web-browsers.

I looked through the list here:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/category/38/

From what I could tell they are all either java-based or difficult to install with modifications to the database required.

Perhaps we should look for an separate ajax-based chat-window that we can link to from the forum-index page instead. Phpbb-integration is not really necessary.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

that's bad :D

Well... I hoped that this integration was easier... Actually, if some ajax code is really easier to get working... =) We choose that! I don't mind having it working in a really complex way... All I think the end user might like is something that directly allows him to chat/post something without needing to be registered... Personally sometimes I feel like registering is pretty annoying ^^ Of course I was really interested in this when I registered, but maybe some other people won't even try to get help because of this.... And that would be bad I think.

PS: http://www.phpfreechat.net/ and https://blueimp.net/ajax/ are the first one I could find ^^

bye bye!
-=Hugo Rossi=-
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

Personally I use Miranda ( similar to Pidgin / Trillian ), which does ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Jabber etc .. but also IRC.

But if you really want a web-based javascript powered alternative. Try Mibbit

K

Edit - Updated Mibbit link
Last edited by Kjell on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I used that too... but I'm pretty missing the voice functionality ^^
(Under linux, expecially!)
-=Hugo Rossi=-