ZgeViz: Midi input

Discuss the ZGameEditor Visualizer plugin for FL-Studio.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

ZgeViz: Midi input

Post by VilleK »

In the latest build of ZgeViz we have added support for MIDI-input. This gives effects the possibility to act on note on/off messages that could be used for interactive effects, potentially GuitarHero style games etc.

Instructions

1. Download the latest ZgeViz-beta.
2. Copy/paste the following into the Content-node of a new ZGE-project:

Code: Select all

ZZDC<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<ZLibrary Name="FL_Library">
  <Source>
<![CDATA[void OnMidiMessage(int status, int data1, int data2) {

}]]>
  </Source>
</ZLibrary>
3. Write code that acts on midi-input.

Note: For performance reasons please only include the above FL_Library-component in effects that act on midi input. This avoids redundant data copying in ZgeViz.

Table of Midi Messages.

In the ZgeViz user interface you can select which Midi-port to use. -1 means midi input is turned off.
Attachments
ZgeViz midi input using the attached demo effect and the MIDI Out plugin.
ZgeViz midi input using the attached demo effect and the MIDI Out plugin.
zgeviz_midi.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 18301 times
MidiTest.zgeproj
ZgeViz midi input demo effect
(765 Bytes) Downloaded 1232 times
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

This is so awesome - Thanks!

I'm new to the zgeviz forums - I'm an alpha tester at Imagline. I discovered ZgeViz and ZgameEditor there. I love both applications.

I'm really new to Zgameeditor in general so, I can use some help on doing certain things - I'm trying to create a novelty preset - it's a drawing app that uses the xy controller - i'm having some issues with it - I'll post a new topic about it.

One thing about my xy-controller drawing app - is that is not exactly a visualizer. With midi input too, we will see presets that might be games, I was thinking of interactive piano lessons too. These preset would not render well for someone that is rendering from a randomizer preset - is there a way to exclude them from being included in the randomizer?

I can't wait to try out the midi input. That is an exciting new edition to ZGEviz. This turning out to be one of the most useful, flexible and responsive music visualizers I have ever used.
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Was able to test - it's fantastic, thank you :D - very happy, about this.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi Steven, welcome to the forums and thanks for all the praise about ZGE :)

Hopefully you will find answers to your ZGE-questions here. There are not many active members but those who are active are really skilled and helpful. Just start a new thread about any help you might need.

You have a good point about some effects are not suited for being included in random-mode and it needs to be solved. One solution could be adding a fourth category of effects called "Special". Another option is adding a button which lets you select effects that should be excluded. Interactive piano lessons is a lovely idea and something I would use myself.
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

VilleK wrote: One solution could be adding a fourth category of effects called "Special". Another option is adding a button which lets you select effects that should be excluded.
Yes, there seems to a few solutions to that -

I think a fourth menu appeals to me the most. Only because most new users will not know which presets to exclude. Something worth considering in the future though.

I'm putting the XY controller app on the shelf for now, and I'm going to start testing some simple midi input projects too.
There are not many active members but those who are active are really skilled and helpful
Yes - I've found answers to a lot of questions here already. There are going to be a lot of people using ZGEViz and ZGameEditor real soon though. I create video tutorials - so I can really help get new users up to speed. For most I think presets, is what they will stick too. Many are going to want to start developing though.
JMC

Post by JMC »

VilleK wrote:Another option is adding a button which lets you select effects that should be excluded.
A (multi combo) list of effects to be used in the setup would be best here.

I can imagine some want to exclude some FX, even if they are suitable for random playback.

I'd also remove 'random' from the list (turn it into a switch?) as when you animate/control the script selector you pass/select random, which controls the list itself.