3.0.0 beta (ZGE on Android)

Information and change log about the latest ZGameEditor release.

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

But I need alpha different than black color (used for Transparency==BlackColor), which is problem with bmp.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

@Rado1 - BMP's can be 32-bit / have a alpha channel just like PNG's.

@Ville - I did some tests with various images and was surprised that that BMP + UPX ( being a generic compression algorithm ) gives better results then PNG ( algorithm optimized for images ) in most instances. Should have done some more research before endorsing the request :oops: Didn't know that Android executables are zipped by default either.

I guess it could still be convenient for non-compressed exe's or decoding externally loaded PNGs ( if such feature were to be added ), but neither are really in the vein of what ZGE is about. Besides, the user that requested the feature seems to have left the forum already, so I doubt you'll get much resistance removing the decoder again.

K
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Kjell wrote:@Rado1 - BMP's can be 32-bit / have a alpha channel just like PNG's.
Aha, I recognized it as .bpmx format, because I use Paint.NET which uses this file extension. I did not know ZGE can load these files, because not listed in supported formats of Open dialog (FromFile Import button). But when renamed file to .bmp, import to ZGE works fine. Good!

Ville could you please add also the .bmpx extension to the list of supported files, I do not want to rename bitmap files all the time; in addition, when .bmp is loaded back to Paint.NET it opens it without alpha even if 32-bit bmp.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Update:

- Native PNG is removed again because it was determined it did not add to overall compression. If you added a png with previous beta then import it again and it will be internally stored uncompressed just like before.
- Xptr can now refer to File.EmbeddedFile like suggested by Rado1. (I haven't been able to properly test this so please report any problems).
- Arrays can now be resized in runtime. Simply assign to the SizeDim1 etc properties to resize it:

Code: Select all

Ar.SizeDim1=0;
for(int i=0; i<10; i++) {
 Ar.SizeDim1++;
 Ar[i]=i;
}
Download here:

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:Arrays can now be resized in runtime.
Thanks a bundle! I solved the situation that made me request this using a circular buffer trick ( DirectSound style ), but this is way more convenient :)

You might want to make Array.Dimensions read-only though. It doesn't really play well with the compiler.

K
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Kjell wrote:Hej Ville,

You might want to make Array.Dimensions read-only though. It doesn't really play well with the compiler.

K
Is nice though -Just did a test on some random model array spawning and removing - It does make things a lot easier - eliminates a lot of variables.
jph_wacheski

Android: Build Live Wallpaper

Post by jph_wacheski »

Just wondering is it possible to build "Live Wallpapers" currently,. perhaps by hacking around in the editor generated java stuff?? or is it a possibility to add an "Android: Build Live Wallpaper" function to the menus.

Just have so many sweet little visual tests that may be nice to distribute in some way. A wallpaper seems about right.

(Perhaps Android should have its own section now?)
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Jph: I did investigate live Android wall papers earlier to see if I could port ParticleToy screen saver project however there were some hurdles that caused me to abandon it for the moment. I don't remember now what it was, but I think it requires quite a different set of Java classes and also a higher Android API level than what we are using now. Hopefully we can support it later.

Some small additions:
- Clear log menu item as suggested by Rado1 in this thread. Also log can be cleared from code using "trace(chr(12)");". (12 is ascii control code for form feed).
- Bug fix: Center mouse centers mouse immediately. From this thread.
- Bug fix: Larger buffer for GLSL error messages (so that they are not cut off).

Download here:

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

I tested the latest version and all additions work fine, thanks Ville.
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

a higher Android API level than what we are using now
Might I suggest 3.0?
"great expectations"
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

y offs et wrote:Might I suggest 3.0?
I'm not sure I can update my Orange SF II (Android 2.3.5) to a higher version. Cannot there be some selection to choose the target (Android version)? E.g. to have ZGE precompiled to several API versions and allow user to select (android-8, android-16, ...).
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Ville, is it possible to access files in /sdcard directory and its sub-directories from the File component? I tried it (also in different ways such as /mnt/sdcard), but without success.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Rado1 wrote:
y offs et wrote:Might I suggest 3.0?
I'm not sure I can update my Orange SF II (Android 2.3.5) to a higher version. Cannot there be some selection to choose the target (Android version)? E.g. to have ZGE precompiled to several API versions and allow user to select (android-8, android-16, ...).
You can try your luck with Cyanogen.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

darkhog wrote:You can try your luck with Cyanogen.
I just updated to Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod 9).
Last edited by Rado1 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Rado1 wrote:Ville, is it possible to access files in /sdcard directory and its sub-directories from the File component? I tried it (also in different ways such as /mnt/sdcard), but without success.
I've tried to fix that now but I haven't been able to test it. Please download the beta again and see if it works. If it doesn't then you can check the log if there are any clues why it fails.