Simplification of Player_xxx.bin

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

Ats

Simplification of Player_xxx.bin

Post by Ats »

I have quite a few bin files that I have to rename each time I'm trying something on a different system. So I was thinking about that and here's my suggestion:

Instead of having

Player.bin (windows i386)
Player_linux.bin (linux i386)
Player_osx86.bin (MAC OS X intel)
Player_ss.bin (screen saver)

We could have a "players" folder with the bin files inside with the same nomenclature as Pascal units:

i386-win32.bin
i386-linux.bin
x86_64-linux.bin
arm-linux.bin
aarch64-linux.bin
and so on...

Then, in a second time, the Project section of the top menu could be simplified. Instead of listing all the exports listed above in the menu:

zge_menu.png
zge_menu.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 7663 times

There could be:
  • Build and run F9
  • Setup Build
    (which opens a window where we choose the unit for each OS, the compression, unused code, inlining, maybe Android stuff too...)
  • Build Linux
  • Build Mac
  • Build Z80
  • Build Android (not sure about that one since building Debug and Release are quite handy)
  • Build Screensaver
Or maybe even simpler:
  • Build and run F9 (simple build)
  • Build for (complicated build which opens a window to choose the OS, the unit and a few options)
Still thinking about that menu, but there's definitely something to be done for simplification :wink:

And last but not least:
automatically call chmod 755 <filename> on your exported project for linux. But can that be done when running ZGE in Windows?
Last edited by Ats on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Simplification of Player_xxx.bin

Post by VilleK »

I agree, this could be redesigned. This occurred to me recently when I was implementing the "retrocoding" platform support too.

Then again, you are most likely the only person on the planet with so many ZGE engines in use :D

I don't think the chmod can be done on Windows because Windows filesystems do not have an "executable" flag. Windows determines if a file is executable based on the filename extension only.
Ats

Post by Ats »

I'm currently thinking about how the build window could be simplified. Is it possible with pascal to scan through a folder and list every files in it (maybe only with a .bin extension) in order to create a drop-down list?
Or is it Delphi Starter? I remember seeing some kind of UI composer a few years ago.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

There is some code in frmMain that fills the most-recently-used list of filenames in the File menu. You could take a look there.

As for getting a list of filenames, I think there is some code in frmMain too that use "GetFiles".