Space Fortress Z - a simple game with .zgeproj source file!

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Space Fortress Z - a simple game with .zgeproj source file!

Post by jph_wacheski »

ok I am having some fun with this so far. I have figured out quite a bit however I am doing something wrong here regarding the random() function,. to spawn that targets that fly at the base I am useing timers on the Application.OnUpdate my reading of the doc.s tells me that ;

left_spawn.interval = random(4,3);

should set the timer to 1-7 seconds however as you can see when you play this the targets come overlaped at times so with hardly any delay at all,. It just occured to me that it must have something to do with deltatime,?. I will keep at it,. but any help clearing this up will be appreciated.
Attachments
space_ZAP_03.zgeproj
is just a simple test of a simple game, .
(5.39 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Last edited by jph_wacheski on Thu May 08, 2008 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice! The sound effects are cool. If you add a bit of Global-LFO you can make the them sound different every time they are played for variation.

About the timer.interval problem you have found a bug! So I fixed it and uploaded a new version. Thanks.
jph_wacheski

hay this is fun and quite powerful!

Post by jph_wacheski »

ok cool,. it works great now! thanks for the help with that. I have been experimenting with the partical system and have not found a way to have the parts fade out using the animateAlpha or anything else,. ? !? what am I doing wrong here? -0.05 ot -0.1 should fad them,. no?

also I am not sure i understand the PAngle value,. is it degrees or rads? either way i don't seem to see an effect using random values,. also, how would I have each part rotate through its life,. i.e. not just set at spawning,. been trying this;

this.PAngle=random(0,3.14);

you will see that I like useing groups to organize the elements,. and would suggest a hot key for moving items up or down the list,. perhaps shft+ctr+up and down arrows to move them,. just a bit more convinent than the right click menu,.

I see now that procedural bitmaps are indeed in here,. however it is pure experimentation for us non-math heads,. I should be able to hack what i need from your examples.,. and hopfully learn more about generating shapes and textures from math,. perhaps we can build a librarie of documented examples, . . i suppose i should do some googlein'.

it is soooooo cool to have this tool spit out an exe that is 38k ! even works on my buddies vista machine,. nice.

as i figure out more of this I should be able to do some more interesting games in it,. long live ZGameEditor!!!!
Attachments
space_ZAP_08.zgeproj
latest ver. 008
(10.39 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

PAngle is degree in radians for the particle direction. You also need to set the "Speed" property to make the particle move in that direction. It is the initial direction only, the particlesystem does not support changing direction over time.

A negative AnimateAlpha should fade out the particles. It looks like it works when I run your example. See screenshot. Does it not look like that on your computer? Very nice explosions by the way :)

A hotkey for moving tree nodes is a good suggestion, I put it on my todo-list for a future update.

I'm glad you appreciate the small exe-file size. That's what ZGE is all about :)
Attachments
spacezap.JPG
spacezap.JPG (23.18 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
jph_wacheski

I think my first poject with ZGE is done!

Post by jph_wacheski »

ok great i think i got it now,. the text in the help file is a bit misleading;

AnimateAlpha
This value is added to each particles color-alpha value every frame. Useful for making particles fade in or out over time.

It seems to actually be more of a 'per second' addition,. as apposed to EVERY FRAME as it say here,. but now I got it hacked out so it fades fully before removing the parts!

I added app.states for playing and dead,. and some more sounds and effects,. and I have learned a bunch about working with the super cool ZGameEditor! thanks so much VilleK you roc!

here is a latest and perhaps final version of this simple test game;
Attachments
space_ZAP_13.zgeproj
the project file to help other learn the Zgame system,.
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
space_ZAP_13.zip
here is the exe for those looking for demo games of the system,. all of 40k!!! so cool!
(37.63 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hey this is cool and pretty polished, the best user generated content for ZGE yet!

And you have really got some cool sound effects. :D

The only thing I can think of improving is using a bitmapfont instead of the built-in. The built-in font isn't perfectly implemented in ZGE, so when I run your game in 1024 resolution the letters clip incorrectly. If I change the resolution then it looks ok.

I've changed the wiki for animatealpha, thanks for pointing it out.

Also many thanks for posting your ZGE-source, it is very clean and easy to follow and can maybe help others that are new to ZGE.