Problem building game

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

jinxtengu

Problem building game

Post by jinxtengu »

Hi, I've been working on a game in z game for a while. The game has about 16 app states so far and has been progressing well. However Today I encountered a problem. After creating a new app state and doing the f9 build and run, the game doesn't run, and there are no error messages. It compiles but doesn't run direct from the editor. Strangely, the built exe file will run if I click on it inside the folder where the game is saved. I intend to keep working on the game, but this means in order to test the game, I must now open the compiled exe instead of running it directly from the editor.
I'd also like to point out im still using version 1.9.9, i will upgrade just as soon as I finish the current game.

Any ideas why the game won't run?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi,

Do you use any external DLLs? Maybe they cannot be found when running from the editor?

Any reason you haven't upgraded to latest ZGameEditor yet? There have been many bugfixes and enhancements since 1.9.9. It could well be that simply upgrading will solve your problem.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,
VilleK wrote:Any reason you haven't upgraded to latest ZGameEditor yet?
Probably because of ( link ) ..
jinxtengu wrote:I've decided to try and finish it using version 1.9.9 of z game, it feels like there's too many corrections to make when converted to 2.0.0.
Do you have any versions / back-ups of your game from when it still worked correctly? You might want to revert and keep a eye out for when the problem occurs again .. if it's being caused by the project that is. Anyway, why are you not testing your project inside the editor? Building your project in order to test it kind of defeats the purpose of using ZGE in the first place ( imo ) :?

K
jinxtengu

Post by jinxtengu »

The reason I haven't upgraded is as Kjell mentions.
It needs some very time consuming modifications to run correctly under later versions.

The game uses bass.dll but it's located in the same folder and should work.
Every other version of the game (all 50) are also located in the same folder.
I can revert to earlier versions of the game, but as soon as I create a new app state the game wont run from the editor. If I delete the app state, leaving the game exactly the same as it was when it was still working it still doesn't run from the editor. rest assured this will not prevent me from finishing the game.
I don't use the in editor test window because models display differently in the window to when the project is built, also black transparent bmps display as boxes, when the game is built they display transparent.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I'm sure we can help you upgrade if you give us the details on which kind of time consuming changes you need to do.

There is no upper limit on appstates so I don't understand what could cause this problem.

And please post some more info/screenshots of your game. The best motivation for me to keep working on ZGameEditor is to see cool projects that are made with it! :)
jinxtengu

Post by jinxtengu »

The program seems to be working fine now. I think what was happening was that it was opening but was opening up minimized, I had some other programs open and I think they had application priority. Whoops, sorry.

The last time I tried to upgrade the project some of the models displayed differently while running the game. I imagine it would take a while changing various render transform group properties to get the models to look right. But I've nearly finished the game , so I don't think an upgrade is necessary. I appreciate the support from members of this forum though.

Here are some screen shots of the game.
It's kind of a 1st person adventure game.

Keep up the good work developing z game Ville :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Haha, I love the weird art style :)

Please post here when you have something finished (or beta) so we can play it.
jchp7787

Post by jchp7787 »

Amaizing game bro is comic hahahahaahah