Icons and logos

Do you want to contribute to improving ZGameEditor? Check out the list of open activities and find out where you may be able to help!

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Icons and logos

Post by VilleK »

Wish-list for improving the visual style of ZGameEditor.

Icons:
- Many ZGE components does not have custom icons. New icons will need to use a similar style and color scheme as the current set so they would look out of place.

Logo:
- Main logotype for ZGameEditor-tool. It should feature the text "ZGameEditor" or "ZGE", and work in different resolutions. Usage would include application icon, wiki-logo and forum-logo.

I'd be happy to accept contributions here as I lack any kind of graphic design skills myself :)
turshija

Post by turshija »

i found some free interesting icons on www.iconarchive.com that could be used in ZGE maybe :)
Attachments
icons.rar
(286.6 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times
myraneal

Post by myraneal »

I decided to give this a shot :) I'm making icons mostly in 3d, and then playing with them in Photoshop to finalize them.
Attached to this post are two icons I made just a while ago, one for PlaySound component and one for AudioMixer.
Ville, would it be possible to create a full icon set that doesn't match the current look&feel but will completely replace it instead? Not that I have anything against the icons right now, just a thought.
Let me know what you think.

-Yılmaz
Attachments
playsound.jpg
playsound.jpg (3.14 KiB) Viewed 31011 times
audiomixer.jpg
audiomixer.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 31011 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice work Yılmaz!

The only problem is that they perhaps will not look so good when scaled down to the small size that other ZGE icons use. I will try them and see.
Psyke

Post by Psyke »

Hello all!

I am new at ZGE Foruns, i liked the ZGE program and I want to spend my time making games in that engine. :)

Ok, I am not a professional with graphics, but I have made something. look:

In the forum page, it will be like this:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3497/zgebackhf7.png

just an example.

what do you think?

I am making an Icon for the program now... I will post later.

[EDIT]

here is the icon:

.ICO file:
Attachments
zge_icon.rar
.ICO file

it has:
48x48 / 32x32 / 16x16
in all colors (16, 256, etc.)
(15.31 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi and welcome Psyke!

I think the forum logo and icon you present looks nice. Maybe we should try them out. What do you other guys think?
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

+1 for giving them a try ;) I really like them!

Maybe not for the editor itself, since I like something that reminds the retro style like the one we currently have ;)
What about a set of default ICOs for the games created with the editor?

BTW: the link to the main page of the forum is not reachable for me! (index.php while it's working if I only write http://www.emix8.org/forum/ )
I'm browsing subforum-by-subforum right now :P
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

hi

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah I like them too,. welcome Psyke!
Perhaps set up a random rotation for the forum like pouet does,. that way we can all contrbute and it keeps things interesting,. and kjells logo has grown fermiliar,. also I do like the current ico on the editor,. so yeah offer the new one to people for their creations!
iterationGAMES.com
Psyke

Post by Psyke »

Hey guys!! I am back with my new computer :D

Now I have time to read some ZGE tutorials and make some games.

I have an new logo that I made, if you like, it's here:

Have a good day!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Found this site with many good icons:

http://www.iconfinder.com/

This reminds me that we had both Kjell and Diki working on new icons for the components, but none appeared :). Maybe you can post them here even if they are not ready so we can pick and use those we like? Also I would want to try making the GUI more attractive so any mockups that suggests new colors etc are welcome. I know Kjell did one long ago.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

I started working on them,. just a bit. I am going for a very minimalistic set,. that I would color code when i get them all done., . Is sorta fun, so I will try to get something for each in a uniform style.

What is the best format for you to work with?
Attachments
a start on a whole new set,. .
a start on a whole new set,. .
jphs_icons.jpg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 30713 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Since you're wanting to make it more attractive, my two cents...

In the first, I think a calculator icon for the Z_code components is inappropriate, so I made a suggestion.

In the second, all I did was change the color of the dots from gray to black.
I think it's a little easier on the eyes, squint-wise.
Attachments
dots.gif
dots.gif (19.8 KiB) Viewed 30707 times
C1.gif
C1.gif (699 Bytes) Viewed 30707 times
"great expectations"
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Here's my attempt too, I packed it into a pdf. Note that this is still a sketch, meaning it's all hand drawn, rough etc but at this point I'm only trying to convey the idea, hopefully it should be enough to do that.

I took "bringing out" part quite literally, as in "from inside the monitor" (the black rectangle in perspective). Things I like about this sketch: lends itself well to animation, simple, easy to remember, can be used for icons etc.. anyway, go take a look!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice try, I quite like it. So if I understand you correctly this is just a sketch and that the letters should look smooth in the final version?

Anyone else have a opinion? I'm not really qualified to comment on art, since I'm so poor at it myself :)
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Yes, it's just a sketch, just so it's open for discussion (and I'm lazy!, no point in polishing a final version, which is lots of work, if this doesn't get through first :D). It should all look smooth in the end. There are also some loose pixels on the dodecahedron, it's because I just painted it over an image instead of making a real model myself. The icon-sized versions should also go through manual adjustments / sharpening and so on.
Last edited by rrTea on Fri May 15, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.