Update upx.exe?

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

Ats

Update upx.exe?

Post by Ats »

Since I saw that upx.exe is missing in the latest release of ZGE, I started searching how it works, for my batch packer. Then I discovered that the help document of ZGE is pointing to https://github.com/korczis/upx/tree/master, which is 11 years old.

The maintained sourcecode of upx is to here now: https://github.com/upx/upx
And it seems to be supporting the compression for 64 bits linux programs too, and most of all, "all versions are functionally equivalent, i.e. each version can handle all executable formats, so you only need the file that runs on your host OS" :D

So I was wondering if the upx.exe in ZGE (when it is there), is up-to-date? Or if I should try to mess with the new one.
Thanks
Ats

Re: Update upx.exe?

Post by Ats »

I just tried the new upx.exe:

Windows:
upx.exe Omeganaut.exe
2383Ko -> 432Ko
Works perfectly

Linux:
upx.exe Omeganaut
2237Ko -> 318Ko
But file is now broken:
An unhandled exception occured at $0000000000401604:
EAccessViuolation: Access violation $0000000000401604

I'm currently deciphering the upx-doc.txt that goes with the exe.

Edit:
I just tried from linux
upx Omeganaut
2237Ko -> 318Ko
But it still crashes, although upx detect Linux/amd64 format.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I removed upx from ZGE because some virus scanners triggered on upx.exe if I remember correctly. But maybe I can add it again if it doesn't trigger any warnings on virustotal.
Ats

Post by Ats »

Oh, all right. Or maybe just put a txt file in the Tool folder, explaining how to retrieve the exe and put it here :wink:
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

It is a shame but since a couple of years it seems it is pointless to try to work with compressed executables because they will always trigger false positives over time. It can vary week by week which scanners trigger and which ones don't. For best chance of users being able to download your game I recommend keeping the executable uncompressed and instead just rely on zip format to distribute your game.
Ats

Post by Ats »

Oh, ok then. Thanks.