OUYA and an oportunity for ZGameEditor

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

jonaspm

OUYA and an oportunity for ZGameEditor

Post by jonaspm »

Hello, today i come with exciting news

Recently was announced the born of a new gaming console based on Android 4.0 that should launch by March of 2013

It will come with Tegra 3 processor,1 GB of RAM, Bluetooth and WiFi

but keeping that things away, it looks like Unity and Blender will add support for OUYA (the name of the console) and will be launch partners of it
(see this)
https://twitter.com/playouya/status/222764652474544128

So! i though you Ville could talk to the team behind the project so they can help you to support OUYA in ZGameEditor or Help you to promote it...

This is a real opportunity of growing (i think)

Pleased to read your replies my friends
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yeah, I've emailed them so we'll see what happens. It has been such a success for them now after raising over $4 million in short time so at the moment they are probably swimming in offers from people who are willing to pay for working with them ;-)
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Yes, this is a great idea,. ZGE is the quickest, most agile game dev. system I have come across,. it makes developing simple games very fast and easy. OUYA is looking like a danm great ideas for discerning gamers everywhere,. If the OUYA crew is really focused on opening game development to more people, then ZGameEditor is a major plus for them.

If the OUYA crew would send Ville a bit of development assistance/encouragement i.e. a bit of cash (he has mouths to feed, eh), or a couple free boxes, then I see a bright future for both teams,. bonne chance, on this as well!
Last edited by jph_wacheski on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iterationGAMES.com
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I have been promoting ZGameEditor... Hopefully some people will come to see what is ZGE
martin

Post by martin »

I would not be so sure about the success of Ouya. In the long term I do not see innovation in this product Android natively supports pads from PS3 for example, and HDMI port to connect tablet with TV is commonly seen these devices.

I think that the greatest opportunity for Zgame is WebGL. Zgame Editror must as soon as possible support exports to webgl until there is no competition in this field
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Yes sure, you CAN set up controllers on Android devices, and hook your device up to a TV, if it has an output or wifi video throw feature,. However this is not much of a practical solution. Hooking it all up each time you want to use it,. You still need to root your device before you get proper control, and then the games all need to have mappings setup, as they are designed for touch screen.

http://revision3.com/hak5/how-to-blueto ... r-to-nexus

From a developer standpoint, all these hardware and mappings options will bring endless variations and .: problems!

OUYA will be a single hardware profile (yeah!), with a single controller layout (yippy!!), that stays hooked to a TV, and a network, with an inbuilt store system for selling stuff (most people also will be using it for media player/streamer).

If they build a nice interface it should be very convenient and for only $100.00 it is a great value,. I see many folks buying one,. the 8 million they raised already is basically pre-orders, so those are systems already in the wild. Time will tell,. .

We already have Android building option working in ZGE,. so adding gamepad support, in the OUYA configuration and ensuring that everything works with the hardware should be relatively trivial.

WebGL is also an interesting prospect, however I suspect it is drastically more effort to rebuild the runner to work in that standard,. not sure what is involved fully though?
Last edited by jph_wacheski on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

I agree with jph's sentiments. Being able to target a unified platform takes away so many headaches.
jph_wacheski wrote:WebGL is also an interesting prospect, however I suspect it is drastically more effort to rebuild the runner to work in that standard,. not sure what is involved fully though?
This requires the engine to be ES 2.0 compliant ( this will probably happen anyway though ) and completely rewritten* in Javascript including a custom C-dialect to Javascript compiler to support the scripting language. In other words, a significant / huge undertaking.

*As i don't think there are any Delphi to Javascript compilers available?

K
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »