Importing OBJ files in the same way you import 3DS files.

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

darkhog

Importing OBJ files in the same way you import 3DS files.

Post by darkhog »

I think it's good idea, as OBJ is more common export target around various 3D modeling software, and import function should be easy to implement as OBJ file is basically text file.
AngelsDevil

Great Idea........Confused Thou!!!

Post by AngelsDevil »

Great Idea........Confused Thou!!!

I think its a great idea thou I am confused why they used a 3DS File Extension, when the software is open GL and OpenSource, I would of thought that they would of used other OpenSource Programing Like Blender or Other Opensource 3d Applications of the sort, then using a program that costs thousands of Dollars as 3DSMAX, Sadly untill the dicide to allow other 3d modeling file extentions I cant bring my Game to life, So Instead I will work on another program called Oscilloscope which I am hoping that I can make without having to bring in 3d objects as the source is already I hope in the Game Engine.

Guess my question to the Developers was why make a Open Source Program without making the 3d modeling part also Open Source when most of the people making these games tend to not have thousands of dollars laying around, otherwise they would be buying the Big Game Engins of Unity, Unreal, and Torque3d just to name a few but ave royality fees and such just a thought Please Please Let u use other file extensiosn other than 3DSMAX which last I hurd cost 2500.usd

Thanks,
AngelsDevil
Kjell

Re: Great Idea........Confused Thou!!!

Post by Kjell »

Hi AngelsDevil,
AngelsDevil wrote:I am confused why they used a 3DS File Extension
You're not alone :roll:
AngelsDevil wrote:I would of thought that they would of used other OpenSource Programing Like Blender or Other Opensource 3d Applications of the sort, then using a program that costs thousands of Dollars as 3DSMAX
The 3DS file format isn't exclusive to 3ds Max though .. you can use for example MeshLab to convert a mesh you've exported from Blender into 3DS.

+ 3DS is the 3D Studio (DOS) mesh file format, not 3ds Max.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Yes direct .obj loading would be nice, then we could load straight from sculptris.

I use wings3d, topMod, and blender to make/convert files when needed,. only I never seem to find the time to model much :(

But I seem to like abstract geometrics anyway, and primitives in loops, and little bits of code, make those very well in ZGE on its own!
iterationGAMES.com