General comments

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

mattias

General comments

Post by mattias »

Very nice looking application, I'm most impressed!

Anyway, I've collected a few comments from my clicking around in the interface, but they're just minor stuff;

When I start the application, the window is really small - but that's something that happens with a lot of Delphi windows since I upgraded my computer. Not all Delphi windows though...

The captions in the property list should probably be moved down a pixel or two, making them centered on the components that you later place in the boxes

The "Edit value" slider ends outside of the panel that it's placed in.

When I select a number property, the "Edit Value" slider appears. When I select a text property, it disappears again. However, when I pick a combo box property, the "Edit Value" slider is still present.

Perhaps a larger comment box should appear where the "Edit Value" slider appears, when the comment is selected? Perhaps this would be good for all text properties?

When I select a mesh, four sliders appear at the top of the screen. There's no caption for these sliders. Also, these sliders overlap slightly, so the focus rect is incorrectly rendered on the right side of the slider.

When accessing a material, increase/decrease buttons appear to the right of the TextureScale, TextureX and TextureY values. If the left pane (property editor and tree view) is fairly small, clicking these increase/decrease buttons sometimes makes the entire pane increase in size. Oddly enough, the particular property I was editing _didn't_ increase in size, meaning that the increase/decrease buttons for that particular property weren't right aligned as all the others were.

Comboboxes in properties are slightly higher than the box that contain them (windows limitation, I think). This looks slightly odd, but it might be preferable to increasing the height of the properties, because an increase would make them very high indeed.

When the application is selected in the tree, start/stop buttons appear. These should probably have icons as well.

I like the icons you've used throughout the project, with the possible exception of the box/triangle/circle icon. The colors look strange and they're too intense compared to the muted colors in the other icons. A more harmoneous icon would probably look better.

What does the

* ------
* ------
* ------

icon symbolize? It looks like an options icon to me.

The sound icon is possitively strange, a black boxk with some blue scratching on it, and four lighter blue dots? It probably makes more sense in higher resolution?

When I add a sound, the not length is automatically 0s, which makes the sound a slight "dud". Figuring out that the "Note length" was the value to change to add some sound took a while. Perhaps that should be made longer? And also, perhaps some kind of presets should be selectable? A couple of favorite sounds to work off?

That's it for now, I really like what you done. It looks like a lot of critizisms, but they're just details, and if I didn't like what I saw, I wouldn't have bothered commenting!

cheers,
mattias
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Mattias you're the man :)

This is very useful feedback, thank you!

I will look into all your suggestions. I assume you are using a standard
XP-computer, and not Vista or some special GUI configuration?

Yes, the icons need more work. Several of the better looking icons are from the Eclipse-project.
The "* ------------" icon should indicate a "list".
The audio icon is supposed to look like a sound wave.

Thanks again.