Why ZGE rocks!

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

y offs et

Why ZGE rocks!

Post by y offs et »

I'm an unabashed fan boy. I thought I'd start a promotional thread. :)

1) Component program creation is the way of the future. The drag drop component tree keeps the complete project layout visible in one window.

2) Pre-programmed components can be an artist's time saver. Nothing interupts the creative process better than chasing syntax errors. Sifting through pages of code searching for a mis-placed period really cuts into the "leaning back with the feet up" time.

3) It takes two pages of C code to do the same as starting ZGE and hitting the build button.
diki

Post by diki »

just adding my two cents:

pro
  • - Solid concept & implementation of the component tree. Although some things are tricky to understand, most of them feel consistent.
    - XML File Format. This rocks because you can:
    - Copy & Paste between different projects (massive timesaver, allows for 'libraries' of best practices/reusable code)
    - Change things that ZGE won't let you, e.g. rename/refactor all occurences of a variable, or turn 'DefineConstant' into 'DefineVariable' :)
con
  • - Alphabetical ordering of components in the 'Add Component' window (might achieve better overview by groups/folders according to context)
    - Some uncomfortable details:
    - having to use an XML Editor to rename a variable without breaking ZExpressions
    - being unable to delete a component that is used by a child component.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

diki wrote:Change things that ZGE won't let you, e.g. rename/refactor all occurences of a variable, or turn 'DefineConstant' into 'DefineVariable' :)
Good point, I've always been in favor of using fileformats that are human-readable, and you just reminded me of one of the reasons.
diki wrote:being unable to delete a component that is used by a child component.
That sounds like a bug. I will check it out.